The key to dealing with arthritis is to KEEP MOVING! Exercise is an essential part of a treatment plan for individuals with any type of arthritis. Arthritis expert A. Lynn Millar, PT, Ph.D., FACSM, shares important tips in this infographic.
Did you know, one session of mild activity, like walking can decrease stiffness and pain immediately?
Aerobic Training, Resistance Training, Flexibility Training and Neuromotor Training will:
- Reduce Pain and often times reduces the need for pain medication
- Improve fitness
- Improve balance
- Improve sense of well-being
- Improve sleep
- Decrease stiffness
- If sitting for a long time, get up and move regularly or at least move the stiff joints
- If you have been inactive, you can start by walking and light resistance activity
- Remember the old adage – “Move it or lose” – stopping activity leads to a loos of joint range of motion, and increased pain and stiffness